I thought when I came home, everything would feel different. Or maybe everything would feel the same. I guess I didn't really expect much but I definitely didn't expect this feeling of confusion. Everything is familiar but it doesn't feel right anymore. It feels weird to wake up in my bedroom. It feels strange using this computer to write this. And even stranger to look out the window onto my quiet gray street. It's too cold outside, and too gray out there. My old clothes are too western. Everything is too western as a matter of fact. I miss the vibrancy, the 'differentness' of life in India. I miss not knowing. Familiarity is no fun. I thought I would be glad to feel relaxed in my home culture. And I do, but it's boring.
India has taught me a lot though. It taught me to go with the flow. To be open to new concepts, however crazy they sound at first. India taught me that traffic lights aren't always necessary (don't worry, I'll still obey them!). That you can wear green, red and yellow in the same outfit. And that eating with your hands is way more fun than with a fork.
Now all I have to do is remember those lessons and apply them to my life here. And of course, go back and visit soon!
Thanks India, I miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment