For breakfast I sampled passion fruit for the first time. It's a smallish yellow fruit with a hard shell that you cut open. Inside is a clear jelly with edible black seeds. It tastes fantastic but the jelly is a little slimy and the seeds- which feels weird to eat- are crunchy.
After breakfast we took a two hour hike in the forest outside town. These forests look like BC or northern Ontario- very beautiful and comforting! As you walk along the trail you see groups of half a dozen cows grazing and sometimes women who are gathering firewood to sell. These women carry bundles of wood that weigh as much as they do down the mountain to sell for the equivalent of maybe 5 dollars. It's a hard life.
For lunch we had a South Indian breakfast. Pongal and tamarind rice with two chutneys. I'm trying my best to use my right hand although I haven't attempted eating with my hands yet.
In the afternoon we went into town to do some groceries. I shopped with my aunt for tops to wear. I ended up buying two tops for about 9 dollars. The bargaining process is a bit intimidating. I haven't attempted it yet, luckily my aunt took the lead. Then we looked for groceries. There were red bananas, tiny cloves of garlic and something called snake gourds.
Tonight there's pizza for dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment