Jan 4, 2010

Ode to the Mustache


At some point this winter, I read that the mustache has been losing popularity. Well, in India, every month is Movember. Pretty much every man I see here sports a mustache just like this guy here.

Today was my first attempt at eating with my hands. It's a bit harder for me than most because I'm left-handed. In Indian culture it's rude to eat or offer something with your left hand because it's used for more unsavory actions like taking off shoes and wiping your bum. Anyway, eating with your right hand is much easier than it looks and actually quite fun. Kind of like playing in the sandbox...but delicious! The technique is quite easy, you grab a bit of the food and form it into a bite sized pile and pack it into a ball. With your first three fingers you lift the food to your mouth and push it into your mouth with your thumb. Eating this way gives you more control and lets you pick out any bits you don't like. Or spices that you aren't meant to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment